My first few days here were spent exploring the city and catching up with all my training friends, my new Minneapolis family! The nice thing is you can get pretty much anywhere in the city through the skywalk so you don't have to freeze to death outside, but if you don't know where you're going it can get pretty confusing. Needless to say I spent an entire day in the skywalk and saw the entire city with no intention of doing so. i couldn't fit my purse in my luggage so I had to buy a bag on my first day out. Of course the only bag I could find said Minnesota all over it, so I branded myself as a tourist from day 1. As I was taking picture of Target Field (again being a tourist) I met a rapper. He wanted to chill with me while I toured the city, but I declined (I hope he wasn't famous).
| Go Twins! |
| Mississippi River |
Mall of America is AMAZING!!! If I were to create Heaven it would be something very similar. There is an aquarium, a theme park, good restaurants and fast food places (Pita Pit) and pretty much every store I would ever want to shop at. Mac and Sephora are right next to each other. Funny enough the Apple and Microsoft stores are as well. They also have a Western Store to remind me of home.
After the initial days of tourism, the dreaded apartment search began. Little did I know that it was going to be as awful, stressful, frustrating and difficult as it was. With no car, staying close to the lightrail, so we could get to the airport faster, was a huge factor. No luck...I'm pretty sure we called and looked at every place along the line...no availability to crappy apartments kept me on the go. On day I think I walked like 12 miles. I found myself looking at a studio apt, comparable to those awful apartments they show on tv shows like in the slums. As the nice man was showing me around it (didn't take long) I was trying my best to be polite and hold back my tears of shock and horror at the same time. This definitely wasn't the cozy life I have become accustomed to at home. Then I found myself across town in a neighborhood where I was very much the minority, and everyone, I mean everyone was staring at me. It was as if I had missed the lightrail and boarded a plane to the Middle East instead. Finally, I ended up in another neighborhood that looked a bit more promising, but then an adorable little 3 year-old child started yelling profanities at me from his front porch...such an angry little Vikings fan. After that, it was back to the hotel for me...rough day!
| What I live out of |
With all these frustrations of being homeless, I have officially put in for a transfer back to Salt Lake City. I’m not sure when that will happen, and I’m still loving this adventure and can’t wait for more!
0 comments:
Post a Comment