BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

As of Late

Denver
I must admit, lately I have been an absolute failure at blog writing. It has definitely been a while so I think I have a lot to catch up on. I don't think I can give a completely full-on detailed account of the last few months without boring you to death so instead let's focus on the most memorable passengers, crews and moments as of late....

One of the hardest parts of the job I have yet to master would be handling the overly personal passengers. The ones who want to know your whole life story, be your new best friend, or even be the future love of your life....ahh. This is difficult for me because I have to be nice, and let's just say things can get awkward.

On one of my recent flights I had a very "nice" lady. The fun began when she nearly started crying because she was so happy I was so nice and helpful towards her. She then told me that I was definitely a Christian because of the way that I acted. This brought her in to a conversation on my religious history and upbringing, and where her stance on religion was. After deciding that I was a suitable girl she decided she was going to set me up with her nephew who owns a heavy construction business....in Montana. "How old are you?" she asked. I told her my age and she followed up with a very loud squeal of, "OHHH that's perfect! Trent will just love you and he's rich!!!! I've got to get your number." Somehow I managed to escape the conversation and retreat back to the galley. I could not avoid her forever though, and on my next trip back she started on my hair..."Your hair is just so pretty! Who does it? Where do you get it done?" I told her my friend in Utah. At this time, the lady is running her hands through my hair. Not sure how to handle this I just stand there and smile while this lady treats me like her pet cat. She then proceeded to tell me that my hair is just so pretty and thick....now that one nearly had me on the floor laughing. My hair is far from think. Being bald until the age of 2 and accepting the fact that I will soon be bald again, I am very aware of this! Well soon it was time for service. By the time I got to her row, the ice was dwindling and there were a couple of frozen blocks. She decided to help me out and just grabbed the ice bag and started breaking up the chunks for me. Very nice of her. Then she held open the bag so I could scoop the ice. The guy sitting across from her just gave me this sympathetic and understanding smile. All around this was a very entertaining flight, with probably one of the sweetest women I've ever me, but boundaries people. Please.

I always feel bad for those poor parents braving the traveling nightmare with multiple children. I can't imagine dragging 2 or 3 kids through airports, trying to keep them entertained and quiet in a small enclosed area, and doing everything possible to keep the kid in their seat with the belt fastened. My understanding hit a new level on one particular flight. A woman was traveling with her toddler and an infant. Both children had been so good the entire flight. I was the aft flight attendant so my seat was right next to the mom. We were in our final descent, and I was all buckled in and ready for landing. But as the landing gear dropped, so did the toddler's patience. She started freaking out and climbing out of her seat. The poor mom was trying to get her to sit down and get her seatbelt on while trying to hold on to the infant as well. I was stretched out of my seat holding the infant on the moms lap so she didn't roll off. The toddler would not cooperate at all, so at the last minute the mom throws me the infant and grabs the toddler. Now while we are in position for landing we are supposed to be going through procedures, so as I'm freaking out about the fact that I'm holding a baby I was figuring what I would have to do with the infant if we had a situation. Luckily this baby was absolutely adorable and super well behaved. She just sat on my lap happy as ever. The landing touchdown was not the smoothest, so I was very glad that the mom had held on to the toddler. We taxied to the gate, baby in arms and all. I'm sure it was quite the sight!

A word to the wise...do not drink too much before trying to board an airplane. We are not allowed to transport drunk passengers. I know those long sits in airport lounges can be difficult, but please self-monitor. We would hate to kick you off your flight. On an 11 am departure (boards at 1030!) we had two guys who had somehow managed to have a little too much. As soon as they got on the plane they were giving hugs and high fives to everybody. It was great that they were friendly drunks, and when they realized that we were concerned they started to beg. Promising to be quiet, good, nice, etc. I promise when you are drunk enough that other passengers are concerned, you will not be going on the flight. We said goodbye to our intoxicated friends and left them in slc!

As far as crews go, I've flown with a lot of great people. However, with mixed personalities and lifestyles, sometimes things can get interesting. There are 2 particularly well-known flight attendants in my base for being slightly different. Lucky for me, I've managed to fly with both of them. First off was Wacky Wanda. Wanda is a very nice and sweet lady. I actually quite enjoyed flying with her. It was a very entertaining day. She told me that she thought she was mental and schizophrenic when it comes to relationships. Not sure what she meant by that I asked for clarification. Her response, "Well I've just dated so many guys and I like things about all of them, but I can't decide on just one." I'm not sure how that makes her schizophrenic but I went with it. She was by far more boy-crazy than me, and she had a good 15 years on me....strange. Then there was the trip from hell with Crazy Cathy. Opposite of Wanda, Cathy is not just crazy, she is mean, demoralizing and self-righteous. I did not enjoy flying with her at all. It actually took a week to recover from it I think. Cathy believes that our society is poisoned by the media, pivot line sprinkler fields are actually missiles, and that she once had cancer but she was cured because she found a man on match.com who had a cancer curing machine banned in the US because cancer is a billion dollar industry. She also got very upset with me when I didn't know where this tiny little country she once lived in was. She felt that it was irresponsible of me to work in this job and not know. She asked what I would do if I met someone from there. My response if they were from there they wouldn't need to ask me questions about it. I'm pretty sure she is confused, working for a regional airline that flies mainly domestic routes, maybe she should brush up on her knowledge on the US...just a thought.
1 year anniversary baby!


Oh wow, well that was pretty long. Sorry for the long blog drought and then this flood of a post. I did make my 1 year anniversary a couple of weeks ago. Milestones! Anyway, I promise to be better. I do have more stories to tell so it won't be long. Safe travels until then!
San Antonio



0 comments: