On a quick trip to Fargo, Rapid City and La Crosse I wasn't anticipating too many exciting things to happen. Only 2 of the 6 flights would be service and they were all pretty quick trips...so no big deal right???
WRONG!
First off I had an FAA Retiree onboard. Scary, but no rules broken (sigh of relief). Then I had the luck of getting two different aircraft with the annoying plunger door (there are only 4 total). We had three different aircraft, so three preflights. I forgot my pilots name in one of my announcements, and had to pause and everyone laughed. So that was pretty funny. We were running on a delay because one of the planes from the first crew was late getting in, and it had also not been stocked by como. The trash was overflowing, there was no ice, trash bags or service items. And finally there was the puker...
I knew we were in trouble when the lovely lady boarded the plane, requesting a seat change closer to the bathroom and a bag. Now maybe I am just too simple minded, but if you are not feeling well I surmise that boarding an object moving through bumpy air at over 500 mph would not be the best of ideas, but she was not about to stay behind. So after begging some people in the back, a nice man, in the most perfect seat for this lady, agreed to change seats. Ready for takeoff...
Not five minutes after takeoff had gone by, when I look up from my jumpseat to see the lovely lady in the back row mad dash to the lav. Yes the seatbelt sign was still on, but I guess when you're desperate rules go out the window. I figured it was safe enough and better off for everyone if I just left her alone and let this one slide. Well poor lady became an occupant of the lav the entire flight.
As the plane started into its descent I had to do my cabin sweep. She was still in the lav so I just knocked on the door to let her know she needed to be back in her seat for landing. By the time I finished all of my other prelanding duties she was still locked up in the lav. Passengers are not allowed to be in the lav for takeoff or landing. I knew that this lady was in a tough situation, but I was concerned for safety reasons. So I spent the next five minutes banging on the door, yelling at the lady to get out of the bathroom. "Ma'am I need you in you're seat right now! I brought you back another bag, and I'm sorry that's uncomfortable, but you cannot be in the bathroom for landing." I have never been so stern with a complete stranger in my life. A lot of the other passengers kept looking back, wondering what in the world was going on. I considered opening the door from the outside, but definitely didn't want to witness what was going on in there, and wasn't exactly sure what I would do if I got the door open anyway. She yelled back at me, annoyed, "I'm throwing up!"..."Ma'am I understand that, but you cannot be in there, get in you're seat now!" I looked out passenger window and realized how close the ground was. Oh crap! We were minutes from landing, and I had to get up to the front to my seat as well. Then the signal for landing echoed through the cabin. Double crap! One final plea/demand, "Ma'am you really can't be in the bathroom for landing! I'm going up to my seat, but I left a bag on your seat, and you need to get out now!" I then raced down the aisle toward my jumpseat, which at an almost vertical down-facing position is very challenging. It felt kind of like I was just swimming over the seats. I finally made it to my seat got buckled in and looked up just as my lav occupant was finally getting to her seat. Just moments after we were landing. Now that's cutting it close.
As one passenger was getting off the plane, he said, "You did all you could do back there...good job!" I just laughed and apologized to pretty much everyone around the situation. The puker was the last to get off the plane. Though I was slightly upset with her I still had some sympathy and told her to feel better! She didn't look good at all...I guess spending an entire hour in an airplane lavatory will do that to you!
After everyone was off the plane, I informed my pilots about the situation. The first officer asked me if we needed a cleanup. So now was the time to face my fear and check. I walked back to the lav, and opened it just a crack. I already have a fear of using the bathroom on a plane...and this just may have made that impossible to get over. For some reason this lady found it appropriate to use the sink instead of the toilet, and it wasn't draining. The smell was awful. I slammed the door shut and jumped back, "Oh gosh, I'm not doing that!" The pilots just laughed and got the cleanup crew out there. They were also not impressed with her location decision, but at least it was all secluded in the lav! This wonderful event caused even more of a delay, but the passengers boarding for the next flight were pretty understanding.."I heard you had a situation on the last trip," one of them joked, "Rough flight?"
By the time we got to the hotel that night I was exhausted! The overnight was in La Crosse Wisconsin, and it was beautiful. The hotel sits right along the Mississippi River, the room was nice and I had a huge sleep number bed. It was a welcome relief from the long day.
The next day started early, but was an easy day. Just one short flight. When we were checking in with the gate agent she read my name, and then went on to tell us how she has a cat named Lexi, and when they say Lexi Cat Lexi Cat she gets all excited and rolls around. I told her I don't do that...the pilots thought this was hilarious, but I did not. The entire walk to the plane they would yell, "Lexi Cat Lexi Cat!" Lovely.
As always, I enjoyed meeting many new great and wonderful people. There was an adorable elderly couple on one flight who had been married for 67 years! I was amazed and honored to have them on my flight. I asked her what the secret was and her advice was to never be selfish. So there ya have it. I think their advice is qualified to be doctrine by now!
Well, another trip down and it just keeps getting better! Can't wait for more.
0 comments:
Post a Comment